This is a tale of problems faced when migrating and existing local PostGreSQL database to Amazon RDS.
While setting up Amazon RDS instance for a Ruby on Rails application, I followed simple Amazon RDS Setup Guide , but still why I ended up banging my head for long time before success.
So I proceed by following steps, Before that I want to share my Rails application stack which is
Rails 3.2.14 Ruby 1.9.3 PostgreSQL 9.1
Step 1: Launch DB instances
This is the simplest step and pretty straight forward
- Go to http://aws.amazon.com/rds and click Sign Up for Amazon RDS.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Here Point (2) is important => on-screen instruction , includes following key points
2. a) Selecting Database for a DB instance like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle etc – I selected PostgreSQL
2. b) Selecting DB version, Amazon offers only PostgreSQL 9.3 as of date – as obvious I selected PostgreSQL 9.3
2. c) Selecting Instance types from various types according to our need. – I selected db.m1.medium
2. d) Setting…
View original post 816 more words